Wednesday 25 January 2023

15mm Sassanid Elephants and Archers

 Once again (for the third winter running) I am taking part in the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge. Last year I focused on Dark Ages, GW's Middle Earth Strategy Battle Game and ECW, all in 28mm. This year will be similar with a one or two dips into 15mm as I add to my small 15mm Sassanid force.



Having most recently added some Command stands, this time I did up a couple of elephants and some archers.


All figures are Old Glory. The sculpts are a little old and clunky when compared to newer ranges such as Forged in Battle's War and Empire range, they paint quickly and easily.


Like the archers the elephants are Old Glory. Although at first I wasn't looking forward to painting them, once I got started I really enjoyed them. I could have taken a little more time with the beasts, but I wanted them done  quickly.



I don't think I have a lot more to add to this army. Definitely some skirmishers, both foot and mounted,  and probably some  more cataphracts.

I thought I would include a couple of photos of the MESBG figures I am also painting during this challenge. They will be most likely be used in Warlords of Erehwon as barbarians.


I don't think this is a very popular range for MESBG players. It is GW's take on Tolkien's Variags of Khand.


Not really how I pictured them when I read the books as a kid but I do like the mish-mash of medieval Korean, Chinese and Japanese aesthetic. 
    

More Sassanids and Variags on the workbench at the moment; I may move onto some Saxons or Welsh shortly.

8 comments:

  1. The elephants are actually pretty fun to paint. Your blankets turned out really well! Lovely set for the pictures, is it real sand you are photographing on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave. Not sand, but an oddly textured blanket that I thought looked a lot like wind swept sand. I dusted it here and there with a spray canto give it a little variation.

      Delete
  2. very nice additions to your Sassanid army. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your Sassanids. You've painted them beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work, and the elephants look particularly nice. I know what you mean in that I did ten Carthaginian elephants and wasn't looking forward to them either, but enjoyed painting them much more than I thought I would.

    ReplyDelete