Thursday 15 September 2022

New Direction: 15mm Sassanid Army

 Generally I like to paint and collect 28mm miniatures but quite a few of my fellow wargamers collect and game in 15mm. So I decided to branch out and purchased a second hand 15mm Sassanid army a few years ago. I say an army but it was about 22 stands of cavalry- no infantry. So as part of a group order I picked up some levy spearmen and some archers from Old Glory. First off the painting desk are the spearmen.

 I have to say I didn't take my time with these; there was no reason to rush, I just wanted to get them painted (I even shirked on the prep as you can see):

                                                                                  


 

It turns out I had purchased a handful of Sassanid spearmen from a business that was getting out of historical figures; I am not sure what make, possibly the now defunct Corvus Belli historical range.

Here is a shot of the two different manufacturers side by side (Old Glory on your left):

Most of the Sassanid shields I have seen follow Angus Macbrides excellent depiction in Osprey's MAA 175,  Rome's Enemies (3): Parthians and Sassanid Persians, but I chose to mix it up a bit. 

Also in the Old Glory order along with the aforementioned archers were a couple of elephants. I hope to get to them this fall some time. Worst case scenario they will be prepped and primed for the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge.
 


9 comments:

  1. Like yourself, I'm a 28mm man but lately there's a growing attraction for returning to 15mm armies. I love your Sassanids and look forward to any expansions. Your club is campaigning I presume.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you UG. No unfortunately, the ancients games seem to be one off affairs. Last year we did a short remote ACW campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great and I really like the choice of colours. The Old Glory figures seem to mix in well with the Corvus Belli.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice results! Most of the Old Glory sculpts are solid figures at good value especially when purchased in a bulk, group order.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome work Cod, are these based for DBx? the WRG system?

    I sent off a couple of elephants for DB's ancients, I did not know you were also pursuing some ... could do up a few more elephants for you it you want them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. These are all based for Field of Glory, the rules Nate uses; I think it is the same/similar basing as WRG et al but not entirely sure. I don't need any more elephants right now but I will be in touch if that changes.

      Delete
  6. I like them! You don’t need a heck of a lot if infantry for this army, just a mass if rabble like these chaps, and the archers. Gotta have the Pachyderms, though!
    I too am a 25 mm guy, but it makes sense to have a 15 mm army of your own to play with friends.

    Peter / Gonsalvo (on vacation, and my iPad won’t recognize my google I’d even though I am logged in!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have that commenting issue on quite a few blogs even when I am logged on either my laptop or desktop.🤔

      Delete