When our friend Blue Bear Jeff passed away I inherited his ECW army, his 18th century Blood Axe Miniatures collection and some other items including a small house he had made. I had forgotten all about it but it turned up when I was working in the basement this spring. I decided to enhance it a little with a new roof and textured walls as there were a couple of materials I wanted to try.
Jeff's cottage was a perfectly suitable but straight forward build; a foam core structure with balsa wood trim on a thin card base.
My first addition to it was a thatch roof. In the past I have tried teddy bear fur (which was OK) and dried grass for a south seas hut (which was too coarse) but I wanted to try toweling.
I think this will be my preferred method from now on. Although a little coarse it has a great texture and takes white glue and paint very well.
I have been using wood filler to texture bases now for a while but I wanted to use it for creating texture on daub walls. For this I used LePages Wood Filler, smeared between the timber framing, textured with both a fine brush and a damp bit of sponge.
I think it requires a little more experimentation. The original colour of the filler was good, but bright and a bit too yellow. When I got to painting it I went little too dark and attempts at lightening it came out with it looking too "painted".






I like your reno work on the cottage! Are you planning to flip it?
ReplyDeleteNo way, are you kidding??? We are Airbnb'ing it all the way!π
DeleteThat looks great, and not too orange to my eye.
ReplyDeleteThat looks amazing, well done indeed!
ReplyDeleteThat looks fabulous! Great stuff :-)
ReplyDeleteGreat looking bit of renovation, looks like the kind of render you get in Suffolk, very nice!
ReplyDeleteBest Iain
Amazing Cod!
ReplyDeleteThankss for this
ReplyDelete