Monday 18 May 2020

Ramshackle Barn With Thatch Roof

I am still waiting for my order from Warlord Games (usually very prompt) so I was working through my collection of kits and re-discovered a Renedra Ramshackle Barn. I had done one up for my urban Pulp Alley table (here for those that are interested) but decided to send this one back in time to the 17th century by exchanging it's shingle (or possibly tile roof) for a thatch one.
Although tile would have been acceptable for the period, the other rural buildings all have thatch roofs so I thought I would try my hand using the war gamer standard, fake fur.
I am not 100% happy with the result; I was hoping I could manipulate it so that it resembled the thatch roof of the Perry cottage.
However, given the barn is "ramshackle" I figured the rough look of the thatch represents the ill maintenance the building has suffered which the greenery in the thatch also shows.
Speaking of the Perry Miniatures cottage, I decide to use the wattle fence that came with it to make a pinfold.
The idea was shamelessly stolen from Silent Invader's thread here (pinfold on pg. 13) on the Lead Adventure Forum.
For those wondering what a "pinfold" was it is the same as a "pound" where stray animals were kept until their owners could afford to pay for the damages the stray/s had done or it/they were sold to cover such costs.
 Now back to postal box watching....

19 comments:

  1. I'm really enjoying seeing this scenery come together, and like the weathered wood effect you have used here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've still got a church for your re-modelling if you please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I will have to swing by and get that.

      Delete
  3. Absolutely superb! Thank you also for the link, inspirational stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barn looks really good. Mines got the slate roof, but always considering expanding the buildings and variety.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your work on the barn is superb! The thatch roof and weathered wood look great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did one of these recently too - luckily I kept the roof seperate, so I can copy your brilliant idea of a thatched roof. More terrain for my Border Reivers or ECW table! Thanks!

    http://tasmancave.blogspot.com/2020/02/ahpc-x-ramshackle-barn.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea to make a second roof; you will end up with a building that can be used over a 500 year period of war gaming. I made a MDF roof that fit inside the gables but rests on the tops of the walls. I glued the teddy bear fur to this.

      Delete
    2. YES! the second roof idea I saw right away, didn't feel you would want to have the 'mis-matched' pieces, yet the update roof is a simple way to keep re-using the terrain

      Delete
  7. Thank you for the comments everyone, much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The table is looking fantastic. I thought pin might be a mispelling of pig for a bit. Interesting bit of history there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wikipedia has a good little article about them, that's where I got my info. In the south of the UK, where our campaign is set, it is actually called a 'pound' and in the north it is called a 'pinfold'. I like pinfold better as it sounds more English you know.

      Delete
  9. your sky background is working well also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, thank you. Funny because In Real Life it just looks like a bunch of paint smooshed around but it comes out quite well in the photos.

      Delete
  10. Great job on the barn and the roof. I think it came out great. 😀

    And I had no idea what a pinfold was.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your buildings are really looking great! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The weathered wood looks superb!

    ReplyDelete